Friday, September 20, 2013

Magic Realism and Kansas

William Burroughs typewriter
1927 Learnard Ave Lawrence KS

MAGIC REALISM AND KANSAS

 “I don’t think anyone could 
write a completely honest 
autobiography. I am sure 
no one could bear to read it: 
My Past Was An Evil River.”
—William Burroughs
The Cat Inside
_____________

Yes, it's great putting a satirical spin on something that's usually considered so serious and historical like Spring Hills Mansion.  And the Jones couple that lived there. The same with butchy cowboys seen as gay, a nice little twist to Chase County doldrums.  I dunno, it's something to do sitting around bored, recuperating, not feeling so hot. 

The thing is I wish I was a gay writer/poet back much earlier. Back then I'd probably have to publish with a "pen name" or hide it in the attic there on 928 Constitution. I noticed American Real Estate recently sold that place. A few blocks from EHS and KSTC. 

If I'd come out of the closet back then in Emporia, I'd probably still be there. Maybe an English teacher or librarian. Who knows. Doing what I'm doing now.

Can you imagine me giving a reading at the Town Crier Bookstore or better yet on the front steps of the William Allen White "Red Stones" mansion... tea, crumpets, a cultured Sunday afternoon with all the little blue-rinse ladies???

Magic realism hadn't yet channeled its way into my life and taken me over yet like now...




No comments:

Post a Comment