Friday, September 21, 2012

Hood Mansion



Marion Howard

(1900 1992)

There's an embossed, bas relief quality to her earlier photo. It's almost as if she were a Greek goddess come to life or perhaps Roman, Etruscan, Cretan queen-bee? Maybe it's just the way her profile stands out on the page her tightly-knit coiffure, her cool eyes, her light smile, her poise for the camera?  On the other hand, it could be her Columbia education, her East Coast poise, her NYC way of looking at things? Or is it her gift of language, her fluent Spanish, her trips to Madrid? Which side of the Civil War was she on did she favor Franco? I really can't say I guess I was more enamored with Mabel King. I plodded my way through Latin translating Caesar's commentaries and the Gallic Wars as best I could. I had flashbacks at night of Roman soldiers dreams about the Baths of Carcalla. I dreamed I was St. Sebastian sacrificed in the Coliseum jaded pagans famished for my long drawn-out demise. Oh those ruthless gladiators and hungry lions!!!! Back then I had a crush on dead languages English was my favorite. So many dead languages so little time. I did kind of like Spanish though like during wrestling practice. When Arnold Lopez whispered sweet nothings in my ear.

No comments:

Post a Comment